One of the key challenges of this project was to preserve and restore the qualities and values of a Historic Landmark 1893 High School while simultaneously providing a state-of-the-art 21st century learning facility.
The existing classroom wings (1893-1913) were renovated to restore the original architectural style, upgrade lighting, add air conditioning, replace HVAC systems, and install new data-communications-video systems. Renovations to the Circa 1940 auditorium wing provided an updated theater environment, while restoring the grand style of the original architecture. The old basement cafeteria was renovated for classrooms and support spaces.
A new dining commons area provides the campus with a much needed common space, or “heart”. The placement of the new entry plaza, with curved curtain walls, large skylights, and interior courtyard, allows for an open centrally-located commons while providing a view of the original brick buildings.