One of the key challenges of Central High School was the historical preservation and restore the qualities and values of a Historic Landmark 1893 High School, while at the same time providing a state-of-the-art 21st century learning facility.
Two buildings of 1920-1930 vintage were demolished to make way for a new three-story wing, housing programs requiring larger spaces and intense use of technologies (Dining Commons, Library, Art, Science, Business, Tech.,Ed., Music, etc).
The existing classroom wings (1893-1913) were renovated to restore the original architectural style, upgrade lighting, add air conditioning, replace
HVAC systems, and install new data-comm-video systems.
Renovations to the 1940 auditorium wing provided an updated theater environment, while restoring the grand style of the original architecture.
The old basement cafeteria was renovated for classrooms and support spaces. A new dining commons area provides the campus with a much needed local space, or “heart”. The placement of the new entry plaza, with curved curtain walls, large skylights, and interior courtyard, all allow for an open, light centrally located commons while providing a view of the original brick buildings.